Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Idol.

I made a pledge to myself a few weeks ago that I was going to stop watching American Idol. The show has seen better days, and the past few seasons I have noticed myself getting so bitter over the number of people that make it to the top twenty who have had music deals in the past. I always thought this show was about discovering new talent, not about rehashing the past. Finding some dishwasher (the Susan Boyles of the world) who would never have any connections into the music industry who has an amazing voice is much better television (for me) than hearing some sob story about a person who was dropped from a major label contract a few years ago.

The day I made the pledge, I took American Idol off my DVR schedule and have not added it back since... But I have not missed an episode of the new season either. I am not sure why I cannot turn it off, but I just cannot seem to turn away. Sadly it seems to be better than most TV on these days (does it really?). I know I should just turn the TV off and open a book, but sitting on the couch with LP, a cat, and a beverage of choice just zoning out on television and Twitter (multi-tasking) is a fantastic way to unwind from the day (of course all of this is done after the munchkin is asleep).

I do not plan on adding the show to the DVR schedule... If I miss an episode, then I miss one (well, that's the plan for now).