Friday, January 22, 2010

Bad luck signs.

I am not a superstitious person. Never have been. Okay, maybe when I was in my single digit years, and maybe in my tween years (which were called pre-teen at the time), but I have not held on to those pseudo-spooky ideas. However the idea of superstitions are very intriguing, and a bit fun. I can easily get sucked into articles and television shows about the origins of superstitions.

Some of my favorite superstitions:
-If your nose itches, someone is coming to see you. If it's the right nostril, the visitor will be a female, left nostril, male.
-If the bottom of your right foot itches, you are going to take a trip.
[So what happens if your left nostril itches and the bottom of your right foot itches... does this mean you will be going on a trip with the man arriving at your door? Is it to Po-Po?]
-To drop a fork means a man is coming to visit.
[Another man? More Po-Po? My attorney?]
-A bed changed on Friday will bring bad dreams.
-Any ship that sails on Friday will have bad luck.
-To break a mirror means 7 years bad luck.
[What if it's a really small mirror?]

And my personal favorite...
-Keep cats away from babies because they "suck the breath" of the child.

I have though noticed in a past few weeks that superstitious signs have been popping up... just a tad late. The evening I chopped my finger a couple weeks back I saw a black cat cross our path on the way to the ER. Then on Wednesday I burned my hand and about thirty minutes later I spilled the salt.

I'm not sure what all of this means... but if it is some kind of sign from the world beyond that I should start believing in superstitions - PLEASE get your timing corrected. Or maybe this all just means I need to stay out of the kitchen.