Monday, July 30, 2007

Pierogi Fest 2007!

I finally did it! Yep, this past Saturday I finally got myself to Pierogi Fest in Whiting, Indian - and I dragged LP and Kefla there too. For those of you who do not know...

1. Pierogi are filled Slavic dumplings. My two favorite are potato and sauerkraut. Some people fry them, and some boil or steam them - I like mine steamed.

2. Whiting is located in the Northwest corner of Indiana, and considered part of the Chicago metro area.


Simply stated: We had a blast. It's good to get out of the city once in a while and go explore little towns. Whiting has this really quaint old downtown that closes main street once a year to celebrate the pierogi. The food was fantastic. The potato pancakes were over the top. And the people watching was top notch as well. I was a little disappointed that we missed the pierogi toss competition (I was ready to win) but it was taking place on Sunday. We also found out that most people's favorite part of pierogi fest happens Friday night with the Pierogi Parade which sounds like an absolute hoot. I'm wondering if it's like Mardi Gras, but instead of throwing beads they throw out pierogi - that would rock.

The little downtown clock.

The polka queens with Mr. Pierogi.

Yep, they even sold pierogi hats.

I hate mimes, especially mimes on purple rollerskates. Look how pissed off the guy to the left is, I thought he was going to punch the mime in the face.