Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A New (Old) Book.

LP had to go by the library the other day to pick up some books for this girl she is tutoring. Libraries are wonderful places, especially for little kids. There are so many books. Books about everything you can imagine (a little kid's imagination). An overload of stories, pictures, ideas, dreams, and places. Great little spaces where one can curl up with their book and drift off into the story that is in their hands.

As we were going through the books I pulled out "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. A classic! A classic I cannot ever recall reading. Ever. I remember the pictures, well some of them, but I could not remember the story. Now I am sure I was read this story as a little Niner, but when story time came my ears tended to turn off and my mind always went wandering. I was a day dreamer in my elementry years. So I sat there at the little table in the little chair and read the book aloud. LP was shhhhh-ing me. It really is a charming story. So charming I checked it out (they had at least twenty copies there). It was the first book I checked out of a library in at least fifteen years. I also grabbed "The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg... another story I had never read.

Libraries are such wonderful places. They can make me feel like a kid, even if it's just for a few minutes.