Friday, March 09, 2007

1 vs 5th Graders

American television can never seem to give up the game show. Every few years there is a new re-birth of the prime time game show. We are now in the era of 1 vs. 100, Deal Or No Deal, and Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?. A few years ago it was Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and The Weakest Link. And Cable TV now has the Game Show Network.

I am not a fan of the game show... but when my lazy ass just cannot seem to get off the couch, I find myself getting dumber as I watch a game show. Streetsmart is good one to make you feel more intelligent. As the years go on it seems to me that game shows get dumber and dumber. Deal Or No Deal takes absolutely no skill or brains. It is a game of 100% guessing and not letting greed take over. Greed... remember that show.

I remember growing up with the game shows of the 80's... although looking back they did not take a super genius to play either. Press Your Luck and Make Me Laugh were tops... plus Bowling For Dollars (that took skill). The Gong Show was sort of like the first version of American Idol... or Star Search (ug, I hated that show).

But why do Americans love their prime time game shows so much? Do all countries have game shows that air in the prime time viewing hours? I know Japan is way into them but not sure when they air. The UK must be into game shows since we steal some of them and make them "American."

Do you like game shows?