Friday, April 04, 2008

Basically.

I am basically sick and tired of people using the word basically. It basically serves little or no purpose in a sentence when most people basically use it. Basically (as LP pointed out) it has replaced the word like in our conversations. It is a filler word that is so over used... and once you start paying attention to how much it is over used you will probably hate me. It is super annoying.

For example: "I basically ran over the dog last night." Do you really need to use the word basically there? No. Own up to what you did. You ran over the dog. Plain and simple. "I basically think this relationship is not working." Basically... really? Wouldn't it be more basic to say that your relationship is not working instead of adding the word basically as sort of an opt-out to your true feelings.

So I am going to try my hardest from this point on to basically drop the word basically from my daily conversations. And you should too. All the cool kids will not be saying it... basically.