Monday, November 27, 2006

Beer Finds.

Most know that I like beer... Anchor being the tops in my book. Since moving to Chicago I have discovered that this is the land of Miller Lite, not microbrews (ala Portland, OR). Thankfully I can find Anchor here with relative ease... although finding it on tap is more of a challenge. And there are some pubs that have amazing beers on tap (the Map Room). But the majority of this city is Miller Lite.

So I get excited when I find some of my favorites in stores... or discover something out of the ordinary. This week:

24oz of Red Stripe. They make this in a 24oz! Red Stripe is not the best of the best, and its too sweet for some - but their short stubby bottles are hard to resist. This past weekend I discovered my local corner store now carries 40oz's (there goes the neighborhood)... which includes 24's of Red Stripe. At

Bridgeport IPA at Schnucks in Memphis. Thanksgiving took us to Memphis this year, and LP discovered that one grocery store carried our favorite beer from Portland, OR. We have never seen Bridgeport outside of the Northwest. The only (huge) mistake we made... we only bought a six pack. Crap!

Iron City. I finally found Pittsburgh's best at Binny's in Chicago... but they do not have the iron bottles. That is the best part. So I did not rush to pick it up.