Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Little Black Book.

I have a little black book. It's not what you think it is. It's just a notebook that I keep with me in my messenger bag. Yep, I'm one of those people who always seems to have a bag with me. But, for the record, I do not wear a white belt, nor do I ride a fixed-gear bike. Back to the little black book... I use it to write random things that pop into my head. Things like band names, two or three words to describe an idea for the blog, a restaurant to check out. You get the idea. There are no secrets in there, just lots of random words. It's useful.

This month I am using my little black book for a new use. This month I have decided to keep track of what I drink. Not everything I drink, but most things. I consume fluids so quickly it's not good for me. I am not just talking about alcohol. Some times I don't realize that I just drank three Cokes and my stomach feels like an explosion for a reason. So my little black book will help me keep track of everything. I eat too fast too, but I've been working on slowing down.

What I am keeping track of:
1. Alcohol Units: I know that "units" sounds so Bridget Jones, but I don't want to separate bottles of beer from glasses of wine from shots of booze... although I really do not drink hard alcohol.
2. Pop: I am trying to embrace the Midwest term "Pop." So any soda, pop, coke, fizzy can or bottle or fountain of whatever. I don't drink that much of it, but I might be surprised that I drink more than I think.
3. Water: Something I need to increase, so I want to see how much I really do drink.

What I am not keeping track of:
1. Coffee: I only drink 1-3 cups a day. I am not obsessed with it, so why track it.
2. Slurpees: It's not warm enough for them, but if I keep doing this tracking I might need to put them in the "Pop" category.
3. Juices: I drink at most one small glass of juice a day... I tend to eat fruit instead. So it is pointless to track it.

I will hopefully give you all results at the end of the month. I know, I know - you are all so excited you cannot control yourselves.