Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Purging.

I am trying to get rid of my CD collection... not all - just half of what I currently have. Although it is fun to see people's reaction when they come to my house and see all of the shelves of CDs and records, I have come to the time when I need to purge some. Well purge a lot. My goal is to get under 2,000 CDs... preferably under 1,500 but I am not sure that will be possible. I like my music. I like that people can look around and find the album they love the most, and probably the one album that makes them sick (for most people they get sick around the Spice Girls for some reason). Since I have come to the point where I am starting to sell CDs to some of the local record stores... I keep reminding myself of why I am doing this (it's sort of a mantra I mmble to myself).

1. 1,500 CDs is more than enough... really. How many people actually have more than 1,000? More than 500?

2. Since I obtained a large percentage of these for free after working in the record industry for so many years, it's not like I am losing money?

3. I have already narrowed my collection down in the past year by more than 2,000... so why stop?

4. I can use the money that I get to pay debt!

5. As the more time goes by I'll be able to get less and less money for CDs.

6. I can always rip some of the albums to MP3s before I sell them just in case I want to listen to it in the future.

7. I'm not selling my vinyl.

So if you live in Chicago... support Reckless Records since they are the ones that are buying most of my CDs. This weekend I'll be taking another couple of bags over there... I just might be getting rid of your favorite, or your least favorite CD.