Friday, April 14, 2006

Me me me me.

On the walk to work this morning my mind was completely stuck on the idea of blogs being so self-indulgent. Not all blogs, but blogs like this one. It's all about me. My thoughts. My questions. My stories. My life. Me, me, me, me. So self-centered. And growing up on quality television like the Brady Bunch I learned that diaries are to be kept personal, private, and locked (Brady Bunch Episode #22, "The Possible Dream" Originally aired: Friday February 27, 1970 on ABC). And blogs are anything but personal, private, and locked.

One of my friends lives in the same building as a successful Chicago blogger (success based on that fact she has a book deal based on her blog). My friend and his wife read her blog every day. Occasionally they have this blogger over for dinner and the awkward part is that they already know all of the stories and ideas she shares with them during the evening. Sort of creepy. Extremely awkward.

So why do people do these blogs? Are they a little voyeuristic? Are they extremely self-centered? Are they looking to be the next Bridget Jones?

For me it's simple. My writing is less than par, so, like reading, the best way to improve is to practice. My blog is self-centered. My blog is here to improve me. Maybe in months to come 5 of 9er will turn into book reports and essays about how the Blue-Tongued Skink is much more impressive than the Ornate Spiny-Tailed Lizard. You never know. But for right now... it's me me me.