Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Drag Queens are scary.


Drag Queens are scary. I have had ample time to get use to them, and be entertained by them (is lip-syncing really entertainment or talent?). Portland, OR is very proud of their ever so trendy drag queen scene. While living there I had the opportunity to catch a few shows and even had conversations with a couple drag queens at parties. I think I can even remember getting drunk with a group of drag queens at this awful up-scale SOHO party in the late 90's. I understand the glam movement, Ziggy Stardust, Vogue, Wang Chung, and all of that (at least with those movements came a slew of great albums... maybe not Wang Chung). So all of this leads me to these opinions:

1. Most drag queens look like Ursula from "The Little Mermaid" and that is not a good thing.

2. Most drag queens have so much make-up on they look like clowns.… and clowns are scary (ever read "It"?).

3. Most drag queens have this over the top pompous / thespian attitude that would make most Broadway fans puke.

4. Most drag queens look more like trashy grandmas instead of fashionable females.

5. Cirque du Soleil is not cool. It's French-Canadian.

5. And all drag queens are at least one of the above... making them all scary (unless you think your grandma is hot... which is scary!).

Artistic expression is important. I even support the idea of modern dance (just do not go see it). But I also believe that scary things are not good, not funny, and just not fun to be around. So while other blogs may have fun with their "Drag Queen of the Week" profiles... I will not be supporting them here.