Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Favorite Albums of 2008.

Year 2008 is almost finished (a few hours left)... so this means it is time for my annual list of my favorite music of the past year. A year that saw terrible sales, more downloads - but some fantastic releases and reissues... especially the New Order and Robyn Hitchcock reissues. Again, like 2007, I was a little bummed out that I did not find more jazz releases that really grabbed my attention... but indie rock and electronic sounds seemed to keep me more than happy.

This past year I started spending time with many records that I listened to ten years ago (my twenties)... like Velocity Girl, Eggs, Superchunck, Fastbacks, Lois, Further, The Singles Soundtrack, Henry's Dress, Love Battery - you know, 90's indie rock. I had forgotten about so many amazing records that use to be the center of my life. Sure some had poorly dated, but even those were enjoyable to listen to and remember my life without the stress of the daily grind. But we cannot live in the past... so here is hoping 2009 bring some off the top music to our ears!

My Favorite Albums of 2008...
1. Primal Scream "Beautiful Future" (b-unique)
2. Frightened Rabbit "Midnight Organ Fight" (fat cat)
3. Parts And Labor "Receivers" (jagjaguwar)
4. Jamie Lidell "Jim" (warp)
5. Lindstrom "Where You Go I Go" (smalltown)
6. GZA/Genius "Pro-Tools" (babygrande)
7. Mates of State "Re-Arrange Us" (basuk)
8. The Dodos "Visiter" (frenchkiss)
9. No Age "Nouns" (sub pop)
10. Hercules and Love Affair "Hercules and Love Affair" (dfa/mute)

and the +10:
Black Mountain "In The Future" (jagjaguwar)
Cool Kids "The Bake Sale" (chocolate industries)
Dutchess & The Duke "She's The Dutches, He's The Duke" (hardly art)
Gutter Twins "Saturnalia" (sup pop)
Harvey Milk "Life... The Best Game In Town" (hydra head)
James "Hey Ma" (mercury)
Lodger "Life Is Sweet" (slumberland)
Q-Tip "The Renaissance" (motown/universal)
Royal We "The Royal We" (domino)
Stereolab "Chemical Chords" (4ad)

....yes, I still loved Q-Tip, Kanye West, Anthony Hamilton, Jazzanova, She & Him, School of Seven Bells, Spiritualized, Mudhoney, The Roots, Neil Halstead, Blitzen Trapper, Crystal Stilts, The Duke Spirit, and tons and tons of others - but they all just cannot fit.