Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Autumn.

Last Monday around 10:45am the offical start of Autumn arrived. My favorite three months of the year.  On chilly morning bike rides I always see people in shorts still gripping on to summer, and then those bundled up in so many layers getting ready to fight off winter.  Halloween.  Thanksgiving.  The World Series.  My birthday.  There just seems to be a calm in the air that beds under the excitement of the Fall.  Even when the economy is falling apart...  Even when my job is coming to an end... There is this calm that seems so comforting.  Time to pull out the hoodies and long sleeved shirts.  Time to make sure the umbrellas work.  Time to start thinking about those year end Top Ten lists.

This Autumn will be like none other.  This October will like none other.  Baby is on his way.  We are at the any day point... although the due date is not for another ten days.  I'm ready for a life change.  I am ready for a new challenge.  I am ready to make lots of sacrifices.  I know I might have to get another job to make ends meet... and I might have to get two jobs when I get laid off at the end of the year.  It's alright.

I've spent so much of my life doing what I want.  I worked to get what I needed, or at least thought I needed.  Sure, being married changed that way of thinking - but I am ready to give more.  I understand it will be like nothing I have ever faced... and even though we do not have family anywhere near us, LP and I have some of the best friends in Chicago that have become our family.  We are not alone.  We are far better off than so many people.

Here's to the end of a perfect Summer... and here's to the Autumn to come.  Here's to shedding some of the selfishness.