Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Sleepy.

Last night I went out to see a friend's band. I have not gone out to see a band since Miles was born (17 months ago). Sleep is too important these days, and most shows are so late that I just cannot gather the drive to get out the door to go. There were three major factors in deciding to go out last night:

  1. The show was at Schuba's, which is my favorite venue in Chicago.
  2. The band was playing the opening slot, which started at 8pm.
  3. The rain looked like it was going to hold off so I could just skate over there.

I was pleasantly surprised when the band my friend is in was actually very good. It is always a challenge to spin constructive criticism to a friend that happens to be in a terrible band - but I was saved from all of that. Thankfully. They reminded me a bit of Tripping Daisy (or the Polyphonic Spree minus the twenty people in robes). I truly enjoyed myself and the beer I was drinking. I actually did not even mind that I was hanging out by myself at a show... something I usually dread.

Let's go back to the beer I was drinking... since after that beer I had another... and at home I had a beer. Three beers are not technically binge drinking to most. I somehow blocked out the fact that I just spent the 40 days of Lent giving up alcohol, which now makes me a lightweight. When I left Schuba's, after chatting with my friend for a little while, I got on my board and realized I was a little drunk. Wow. I sort of knew this was the case since I was being a Chatty-Kathy inside, but it really did not hit me until I hopped on that board.

So this morning I woke up with a tiredness that is a bit overwhelming. Not a hangover, but a reminder that I am not in my twenties any more.