Year 2009 will be in the history books in a few hours... so this means it is time for my annual list of my favorite music of the past year. A year that I spent completely on unemployment... so music came from friends and also from selling music to buy music. The CD died more this year. The vinyl album rose in sales. But downloaded music is still gaining more and more ground... and sadly since most downloaded music is still not being paid for the music industry is dying more and more (one of the reasons I lost my job one year ago today).
My Favorite Albums of 2009...
1. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart "s/t" (slumberland)
2. David Bazan "Curse Your Branches" (barsuk)
3. Shrinebuilder "Shrinebuilder" (neurot)
4. Passion Pit "Manners" (french kiss/columbia)
5. Tortoise "Beacons of Ancestorship" (thrill jockey)
6. Nomo "Invisible Cities" (ubiquity)
7. Method Man & Redman "Blackout 2" (def jam)
8. Phoenix "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenex" (loyauté/glassnote)
9. Lily Allen "It's Not Me, It's You" (capitol)
10. Rose Melberg "Homemade Ship" (k)
and the +10:
Animal Collective "Merriweather Post Pavilion" (domino)
The Big Pink "A Brief History Of Love" (4ad)
Bill Callahan "Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle" (drag city)
Bricolage "Bricolage" (slumberland)
Girls "Album" (true panther/matador)
Thee Oh Sees "Help" (in the red)
P.O.S. "Never Better" (rhymesayers)
Roman Candle "Oh Tall Tree In The Ear" (carnival)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "It's Blitz!" (interscope)
Yo La Tengo "Popular Songs" (matador)
So there you go... another year of music in the books. Hopefully 2010 brings happiness and employment to those that are in need.