Sunday, December 03, 2006

Wrong About 2005.

For those of you who do not know... I am obsessed with my annual Top 10 albums of the year. Each year, at the end of December, I try to narrow down my favorite new ablums of the year (that were released that year) to a Top 10... and then I add 10 more that just would not fit. The more and more I listen to last year's release by The Magic Numbers I realize that I was completely wrong not making it the year's best album. It truly is pop genius. And since it was such a sleeper (I took me a while to get into it) I made the mistake of not making it my number one. So I am going back and making the change...


The Best of 2005 (re-do):
1. The Magic Numbers "The Magic Numbers" (capitol/heavenly)
2. Nada Surf "The Weight Is A Gift" (barsuk)
3. The Perceptionists "Black Dialogue" (def jux)
4. SF Jazz Collective "SF Jazz Collective" (nonesuch)
5. Josh Rouse "Nashville" (ryko)
6. Stars "Set Yourself On Fire" (arts & crafts)
7. Lyrics Born "Same !@#$ Different Day" (quannum)
8. John Davis "John Davis" (bht)
9. The National "Alligator" (beggars banquet)
10. The Frames "Burn The Map" (anti)

and the + 10:
Bloc Party "Silent Alarm" (v2)
Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah "Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah" (self released)
Drunk Horse "In Tongues" (tee pee)
Elbow "Leaders Of The Free World" (v2)
Freakwater "Thinking Of You..." (thrill jockey)
Ida "Heart Like A River" (polyvinyl)
Mariah Carey "The Emancipation Of Mini" (island)
Shannon McNally "Geronimo" (narada)
Sybris "Sybris" (flameshovel)
The Game "The Documentary" (interscope)