Monday, April 28, 2008

A Bummer of a Ballgame.

A couple weeks ago one of my clients in NYC bought me tickets to Sunday's White Sox game... just for being great at my job. It was a great surprise to get the tickets and what even meant more was that my client actually listens to me... knows that I am a Sox fan (not Cubs), and I have weekday season tickets - so a Sunday game would be perfect.

Sunday's game was anything but perfect. I could not find anyone to go with me since most of my friends were out of town or busy that day and LP had to study. I did find one person to go with... and he flaked. I thought of calling Classy, but it was Sunday morning and very last minute so I decided to go myself instead of being denied again. And then a these series of events happened:

1. The Belmont bus never came so I walked the 1.5 miles to the Red Line. Waited forever for the L so I was late to the game.
2. When I finally got into the stadium I got to my section and just as I was about to walk down to the seat the White Sox hit a home run right where my seat was. Crap!
3. I walked down and saw that it was really packed in the section so I opted to sit in a less crowded section... I did not want it to be too obvious I was by myself.
4. I waited and waited for a hot dog vendor and none ever came. Crap!
5. I then decided after a while to get up and go get a hot dog and beer. I got back and sat down and then they announced that my section and row (where I was supposed to be sitting) won free ice cream. They had already handed them out before the announcement so was S.O.L. Crap!
6. It was the bottom of the 6th inning and I was needing to tinkle so I walked to the restroom and when going back to my seat another home run was hit to the section where I was supposed to be. Grrrrrr.


What a bummer. And at this point I was grumpy and just wanted to go home. So I did. I never leave games early, but at the same time I have never been one to do things on my own. The past few years I have learned to test the waters on being a loner (shows, movies, baseball games). It was all going fine until yesterday's game... and the White Sox won. I think I am officially done being a loner.