Monday, March 24, 2008

Five Cities I Don't Want to Move to.

Good Morning America did a segment last week, or the week before that, on the top five cities in America to find a job. Since I am one who is looking for a better job this caught my attention. The list was:

1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. Wichita, KS
3. Austin, TX
4. Atlanta, GA
5. Fort Worth, TX

I know I am struggling to find a new job, but I do not think these five cities hold my answer. It's not like I am not finding jobs to apply for, I am - I'm just trying to change industries since the music business is tanking (thanks iTunes) and I have no one to help me get my foot into a new door (design, advertising, marketing) that would be a close fit to my project management background.

Austin, Atlanta, and Fort Worth are too hot. There is no way I could make it through their July-September months. I know... they have A/C everywhere you go, but I am too much of an outdoor person in the summer and I could not deal with that kind of heat. Plus, I sweat like a pig (do pigs sweat?). I'd be so gross most of the year. Not a good thing. Aside from that (the heat thing)... Austin is OK, I enjoy myself each time I've been there, but I am not sure I want to live in a college town, and I don't care for Texas barbecue. Fort Worth blows. I've never been to Hotlanta, but I am sure they have excellent food.

As for Wichita... I've never been there (or to Kansas) but it cannot be a good place. I mean they found a lady there who had been sitting on her boyfriend's toilet for two years. Two years! If you don't believe me, then read CNN.

And SLC... I'm sorry I just cannot do it. It's a lovely city to look at, but they have just too much winter for me. And the Salt Lake is not my idea of fun.